Sunday, October 12, 2008

The P&G Story

I contemplated for a long time on how best to relay my story and finally decided to do it in a short, concise, straight-to-the-point manner, as is the P&G style =) Here goes.

PRE-INTERNSHIP

So I went through an online test called the Success Drivers Test (lets them see if you have the elements they're looking for), a paper-based Problem-Solving Test, two interviews with top dons of the department you're applying for and a Business Challenge program (where they explain their stuffs and assess you through case studies they throw at you during the duration).

Pretty intense, huh? Very thorough and, I must admit, very efficient in selecting only the people that fits into the company's idea (I know this cz it's kinda obvious that the actual P&Giers are made of the same stuff, from my observation). I was surprised when I got a call from Ridzuan (the HR) with an internship offer coz I didn't really think I'd make it. My competitors (lovely people that they are) were very qualified and very good as well so it was kinda tough. Nevertheless, I did and thus we enter....

THE INTERNSHIP

Intern position: Marketing Strategy & Planning

Objective: Get to see what it's really like to be working with P&G.

Perks:
  1. The name: You're working with a Fortune 500 company. Every company that's not on the list wants to be in it and every company that's in it fights to stay on it. P&G ranks top 30 out of 500. Need I say more?
  2. The experience: Yeah, you're an intern but they give you a REAL-LIFE project. They treat you like an employee and you're expected to perform like one. Your end project, which will be carried out in actual if it's good enough, will have your name all over it. Talk about really getting a taste of what it's all about.
  3. The people: They're the nicest people to work with that you can ever find. And if you want to work with motivated individuals whom you can rely on to get the job finished, they're the ones. Plus, the network is amazing. When you're in it, you're dealing with the whole ASEAN part of it. So you'll talk to people from Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Isn't that cool?
  4. The greens: You're going to be one rich intern by the end of your deal compared to your friends. RM 1k/month. Who can say no to that?
Challenges:
  1. I'd be totally lying if I say it was a cinch. It wasn't the easiest job on the planet and it definitely required a LOT of hard work and time. Probably one of the most difficult time in my life. You'll be put in situation where you'll be under short deadlines, low resources, etc. It was all I could do not to run screaming (as Darren put it) BUT, having said that, I'd also be lying if I say that it wasn't worth it because it definitely was. You know they say that it's when you're tested that you know what you're made of? That saying made a lot of sense after I went through this. In fact, it pushed me to do things I kinda know that I can do, but never actually had the opportunity to try and see if I'm actually able to carry it out. So yeah, it was DEFINITELY worth it. I'd do it again and again if I have to. Your experience and maturity will go from here to HERE and that's just in 5 weeks time, no joke.
Summary:

[Insert all sorts of laudatory comments here] and [challenging synonyms]. In short, it wasn't easy but it was WORTH it.

Next Steps:
  1. Get a job with them, of course! Or at least work with another company that offers similar experience, which will be hard to beat. After all, once you've worked with one of the best, everything else pales in comparison.

Hope that helps!! =)

ps: ok, so it wasn't exactly SHORT, but i did get all the points across..heheh


1 comment:

jemein said...

nice write-up. pretty much sums up the whole internship experience!